SEASONAL ALLERGY TIPS
Those with strong immune systems are in a much better position to reduce histamine production in their bodies. Rather than masking the symptoms with an over-the-counter anti-histamine, there are a number of holistic options. As symptoms and allergies can be very individualistic, we recommend consulting with a Place360 health professional in order to obtain individualized remedies specific to your allergies. Below are a number of tips and remedies which can be sourced at natural food stores and at Place360.
Food, vitamins, items found at natural food stores like Jimbos:
- Local Honey: yes, it can do more than sweeten…
- Bee Pollen: a nutritional powerhouse with the unique ability to help boost the immune system and suppress allergic response. It is most effective when taken several months prior to spring and fall allergy seasons.
- Quercetin found naturally in black and green teas, onions and apples. It is a natural flavonoid that helps stabilize cells and prevents them from releasing histamine.
- Stinging Nettle: this herb acts much like an antihistamine without the drowsiness. Nettle inhibits the body’s ability to produce histamine.
- Vitamin D: Take it to support immune function
- Neti Pot or Nasopure: Neti Pots are small vessels shaped like “Aladdin’s Lamp” and have been used in India for thousands of years to flush sinuses and keep them clear. A little douse of saltwater can rinse away pollens and help allergies and other forms of sinus congestion. For the modern version try Nasopure
Homeopathic Remedies found at natural food stores like Jimbos
- Histaminum (30c or 200c): A homeopathic remedy that helps reduce histamine and allergic reactions. It’s like a homeopathic anti-histamine, but without the drowsiness. For symptoms like itching, congestion, bronchial agitation, swelling and hives.
- Allium Cepa (30c): For constant dripping nose (like a faucet), watery eyes with burning and irritated sensations.
- Euphrasia (30c): For burning, irritated eyes and runny nose which is worse around plants and flowers.
- Natrum Mur (30c): For sneezing (often in fits), congestion and runny nose, headaches and teary eyes.
Available at Place360. Health Professional Consultation Recommended:
- AllerTotal: A combination of prescription homeopathic remedy that includes Histaminum and other effective remedies for a multitude of allergy symptoms.
- AllerEase by Blue Poppy: Calms inflammation and clears congestion of nasal sinus and eye irritation without over-drying. Allerease Jr. available to calm sinus inflamation for pediatric care — glycerin based and non-alcholic
- Evergreen Herbal ENT: A stronger formula in a granular powder for exacerbation of sinus into an infection of ears, nose and throat.
- Magnolia Clear Sinus: Dries up runny nose and watery congestion
- Pueraria Clear Sinus: Expectorant for thick yellowish mucus
- Lung Qi Jr: For pediatric cough with phlegm and possible wheezing.Glycerin based and non-alcholic.
REMEDIES FOR OVERINDULGENCE
For when you’ve overdone the fun… Sometimes we just overindulge. Below are some helpful remedies for such occasions. Using a 30C potency of these remedies, one can take 3 pellets every 20-30 minutes up to 4-5 times (if needed) or until symptoms improve.
Nux Vomica – #1 remedy for overindulgence when you over did it and may even feel hung over. Typically, the person needing this feels overwhelmed, irritable and impatient. Often sleepless around 3-4 am and then wakes in the morning feeling horrid. Great for nausea, indigestion and headaches. They may eat too much and drink too much and might crave stimulants, caffeine and even alcohol. Many of the symptoms resemble a hangover, even if not actually hungover.
Carbo Vegetabilis – Ever feel like you need to unbutton your pants and go lay down after eating too much? If so, Carbo Veg is the perfect remedy to help relieve the bloating, gas and gas pains. Some people might feel like all foods turn to gas and might cause heartburn and regurgitation. This is for you.
Lycopodium – Wonderful for bloating and gas plus that feeling of being full quickly, even after a small amount of food. This is also a remedy for the sweet tooth when you have a strong craving for sweets. Typically there will be fatigue in the late afternoon (4pm) and sometimes a worsening of stomach complaints.
These are all great remedies to have on hand throughout the holidays and are also great for the traveler to carry as well. For more information or a personalized Homeopathic evaluation, we suggest a consult with Willow MacPherson, DIHom.